[OZAPRS] linux

Murray Miitchell vk5bwa at bigpond.net.au
Fri May 9 21:46:46 EST 2008

On Thursday 08 May 2008 09:53, Ben Lindner wrote:
> OK here is a BIG question.
>
> If someone such as myself wanted to put Linux on a computer, which one
> would be best suited for ham radio applications and other desktop
> functions. It would also be an advantage to have Windows on the same
> hard drive.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Ben Lindner
> VK5JFK

Hi Ben,

I have been following the Linux discussion that arose because of your post.

I am presently using Open SuSE 10.1 and have found it quite easy to install
and run

My present ham application is XASTIR which was easy to install once I got the
hang of compile, makefile and makefile install processes - with the help of
Rod VK5KFB(my son)

Generally, I find that most modern distros all install easily these days and
all do much the same thing. My first venture into Linux was about 10 years
ago with a version called "Dragon Linux" which was basically a GUI front-end
for  a early version of "Slackware" linux.

I have recently seen a Fedora 8 install working and was quite impressed.

Cheers,

Murray Mitchell,
VK5BWA