[OZAPRS] UNPROTO

Andrew Rich vk4tec at people.net.au
Mon Mar 31 18:59:03 EST 2008

The UNPROTO part of the APRS message can be used to signifiy what sort of
program you are running

See the APRS spec

More to this - in compressed APRS packets, the UNPROTO part is used to carry
part of the position information.

An example where the UNPROTO is used to say what source it came from

VK4UTE-9>APOTC1,VK4RAI-3*,WIDE2-1/1: <UI>:
/290257z2727.71S/15234.96Ev000/000/A=000205 41CRod VK4UTE Parked

An example where the UNPROTO is used as part of the position report to save
data.

VK4ACC-9>RS18S2,TCPIP,VK4OG-1*:`N:so?_>/"49}VK4ACC A Cooked Chook From
Rockhampton