[OZAPRS] Re: Foundation Calls reminder

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Mon Jun 23 13:54:15 EST 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 12:44:40PM +1000, Scott Evans wrote:
> Um, I think that the interpretation of anyone running Ui-View on a PC
> constitutes a amateur radio station has overlooked the software licence!
> that is what governs the software usage However, if a foundation
> licensee has requested a "Validation Number" then herein lies the
> problem. Maybe it would be advisable inform the Distributors of
> Validation Numbers, to not allow VKxFxxx calls a Validation Number! then

Validation numbers can be self-generated eg the aprscall program
included with aprsd. I don't think we can depend on control of
validation numbers to resolve this problem.

> this way there is no way possible then their traffic would be gated onto
> a RF network. There is nothing stopping anybody from viewing APRS
> Traffic licenced or not it would also be a waste of time to try and
> "Exclude" such (by way of Server/I-Gate filters) as there could also be
> the potential to block a valid user!
>
> So in my summery...
>
> If a Foundation Licensee is breaching their respective "LCD" then a
> friendly chat ought to resolve the issue! (after all aren't we a self
> regulatory body?)
>
> If a Foundation Licensee has acquired a Validation Number then they
> should be informed of the "Potential to breach their respective LCD" if
> it (the validation number) is used whilst connected to an APRS Internet
> server.

What about the case of a complete non-amateur? (Perhaps the Citizens
Weather folks for example.) They can get a validation number and send
traffic in, which would be gated to RF. Personally I think they are so
far removed from RF that it's difficult to argue they are breaking any
laws. Same for the F calls.

I think gateway stations need to protect themselves. It couldn't hurt
anyway.

Hamish