[OZAPRS] HF APRS - messages

Brian Beamish dinkum at optusnet.com.au
Sun Aug 31 11:34:23 EST 2008

Hi Peter

My personal thoughts

Whilst operating on HF APRS 95% of the time I have never had the inclination
to send or receive messages I really have my doubts that HF really is
suitable for APRS Message type traffic which if I am right does not have any
error correction facility built in.

I ran a 1200 baud PSK HF BBS for years this worked very well indeed due to
the built in error correction but sending messages via 300 baud APRS without
the correction may possibly be a waste of time and even with some error
correction added would I feel just tie up band width and Igates with other
APRS users being unable to use it whilst messages are being sent.

73 Brian VK4BBS