[OZAPRS] Problems with APRS in SE Qld

Andrew Rich vk4tec at people.net.au
Thu Oct 18 05:15:26 EST 2007

For those people confused about how to build packet networks, here is a
template.

01. Do you planning - radio mobile or splat is a good place to start for
mobile coverage plots nasa height data helps.
02. Keep your TXD short 30 mS should be ok, maybe older rigs may need
more.
03. Keep your digi idents down to the hour and direct idents only.
04. Strategically place your IGATES.
05. Implement the WIDEX-X style path.
06. Try and gear your IGATES for all traffic in, messaging out only. (help
out the travellers with messaging)
07. Be aware because you have bandwidth today - you may need it tomorrow
for
emergencies.
08. Set up stats and regularly tune your network settings.
09. Encourage space bourne data digis. ISS GO32 NO61
10. The air interface is fragile - try and reserve and build around mobile
stations.

Things that are currently wrong.

+ I am hearing stations with TXD of 3 seconds not 30 ms
+ Digis' are identing every 5 minutes and via WIDE,WIDE
+ IGATES are re-injecting INET traffic back into RF.

Fix these 3 issues and we may get some where.

I have emailed Robert Bryce, who programmed VK4RMM, VK4RAI, VK4RGO

Have a look at VK4GME-3 one day , it was the first digi in, and it works.

Then these others popped up and started the problems.

Andrew Rich VK4TEC
vk4tec at people.net.au <mailto:vk4tec at people.net.au>
http://www.tech-software.net