[OZAPRS] VK2 Network Update

Geoff geoff at gatwards.org
Fri Oct 12 13:17:45 EST 2007

All,

With a lot of changes happening or about to happen in the VK2 network, I
thought I'd start sending a network status update mail to the group to let
everyone know what is happening.

Hopefully as we get information about any APRS network developments we can
keep everyone up-to-date.

OVERVIEW

--------

We are in the process of attempting to "revive" the APRS network around
VK2.

Part of this revival is the upgrade of existing digipeaters to support the
"New-N Paridigm", and the expansion of the network into new areas.

The  vk2.aprs.net.au  web site is also undergoing a large transformation
in
the background, and should be re-launched with accurate and relevant
information in the not-too-distant future.

The VK2 network has been sub-divided into regional zones, each zone
consisting of one IGate and a series of digipeaters.

The regional zone approach is similar to that used in VK3, and the
intention
is that each region keeps its local information local, whilst still
fitting
into the national network transparently for mobile and portable users.

SENSW REGION

------------

This region consists of the South Coast, Riverina and VK1.

Within this region are  VK2AMW-2, VK2AMW-3, VK2AMW-4, VK1RGI-1, VK1RBM-1,
VK2TVZ-1 and VK2CSU-1 digipeaters, with the IGate being operated by VK1NPW
and VK1KCM.  All digipeaters except VK2AMW-2 now support the New-N
standard,
and legacy RELAY, WIDE and TRACE paths are no longer supported.

* VK2AMW-2 - Still to be upgraded to support the New-N standard, and is
currently suffering some path issues believed to be hardware related.

* VK2AMW-4 - Plans are in place to relocate this digipeater to Nowra Hill
provide better coverage, which will also improve the path reliability
between VK2AMW-2 and VK2AMW-3 back into Canberra.

* VK2CSU-1 - Investigations are in progress to relocate the digipeater
from
the CSU rooftop out to the same location as the local voice repeater.

SYD REGION

----------

This region covers the Sydney metropolitan area, Central Coast and Blue
Mountains.

Digipeaters in this region are  VK2AMW-1, VK2JPJ-1, VK2RAG-1, with the
IGate
being operated by Mike VK2INT.

All digipeaters will be upgraded within the next few weeks to support the
New-N standard, but will retain the legacy RELAY, WIDE and TRACE paths
until
the new year, to give users a chance to change their setups.

* VK2JPJ-1 - When this digipeater is upgraded, it will change callsign to
VK2US-1, and will also hopefully have the SiteAlert functionality added to
provide environmental and stats data.

* VK2RSW-1 - This digipeater went "MIA" several months ago, and we have
been
investigating its whereabouts.

We have located the site owner and are checking to see if we can recover
the
hardware to re-use, although it appears that we MAY be able to resurrect
this digipeater to cover Western Sydney again.

We are also investigating the possibilities of a new digipeater in the
Western Blue Mountains to complete the western coverage of the region out
towards Lithgow and Bathurst.

CENTRAL WEST REGION

-------------------

Not much out here yet, however we have an IGate in Kim VK2ASY, and we are
beginning to look at options for establishing digipeaters to cover the
Bathurst and Orange area, and hopefully extend the region out to Dubbo and
Cowra.  This is a work-in-progress.   If anyone knows of anyone in this
region who may be able to assist with a digipeater location we'd love to
hear from them.

MID NORTH COAST REGION

----------------------

Ray VK2TV runs the IGate in Kempsey, along with the VK2RMC-1 digi.

Ray also runs a HF IGate on 30m as VK2TV-4

HUNTER REGION

Nothing happening as yet, but following the upgrade of the SYD region we
will begin investigating the establishment of a digipeater to cover
Newcastle, and an IGate to service this region.  If anyone knows of anyone
in this region who may be able to assist with a digipeater location we'd
love to hear from them.

Geoff

VK2XJG