[OZAPRS] HF APRS during the World Solar Challenge

Andrew Temme atemme at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 14:22:53 EST 2007

Hey All,
I am a US ham that is studying at the University of Waikato this
semester.  I have become involved with the electric vehicle here.  We
will be traveling to Australia this month to compete in the World
Solar Challenge.  The race is Oct 20 through Oct 27.  We drive from
Darwin to Adelaide along the Stuart Highway.

I am planning on running APRS on the national 30 meter band.  The
problem is, I do not have an HF rig!  I will have the GPS and tracker.

I am writing this to see if there is anyone that would be willing to
loan use a complete rig, i.e. radio, antenna (mag mount?), and tuner
if needed.  I might be able to bring some feed line and power
connections, but if someone would help with these, I wouldn't
complain.  Nothing could be permanent as we will be putting the gear
into a rental vehicle or a local team member's car.  I'm not sure
whether we will have on sort of bars to mount on or if we will just
have to rely on magnetism!

To make it easier on getting/returning the equipment, we will have
team members coming through Adelaide early next week.  They will then
be traveling up to Darwin.  I will be arriving in Darwin on the 16th.
We finish in Adelaide.  So it might be better if we borrow from
someone near Adelaide (but I wouldn't say no to any rig right now).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  If you can't help directly,
please forward this on and talk with other operators.  Sorry about
this being my first post to the aprs mailing list.  I look forward to
hearing your responses.

73,
Andrew Temme, KE7ESD

p.s. I'm in the process of getting my Australian license right now!