[OZAPRS] SOT : Lead Acid battery reconditioning

Chris Hill chris.hill at crhtelnet.com.au
Fri Jan 19 01:10:42 EST 2007

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the slightly off topic (SOT) question, but a 240VAC outage
yesterday took my satgate down.  so it's time to service the UPS!

The UPS is a fairly large one (a 1300W unit made by On-Line Power, Inc.,
similar to the unit at http://www.onlinepower.com/products/tbs.html),
fitted
with six 12V 50AH lead acid batteries.  The existing batteries are
PRC-1250XL made by Power Battery Company, Inc, NJ, USA.  (A data sheet for
the series is available at http://www.powerbattery.com/pdf/prc-1250s.pdf).

It's going to cost approx $1300 to get a brand new set of batteries, so it
may be worth investing in a decent battery refurbishment / reconditioning.
So, my question is this:  Can anyone recommend a battery reconditioner
that
is likely to bring these 7 year old batteries (that have been discharged
for
a long time, it would seem) back to life?  Or am I wasting my time, and
should just bite the bullet and get new batteries?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

vk6kch

p.s  Yes, I also have a small SLA 12V battery on the 12V rail that feeds
my
TNC and 2m radio, but the PC running UI-VIEW still needs the UPS.