[OZAPRS] Correct mobile path, and free UHF freq for xband repeat?

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Fri Feb 9 01:40:01 EST 2007

Howdy Folks,

Marcus (3TST) and I are heading up to wyong next weekend for the field
day, and taking the scenic route on the way back..  After discovering the
severe lack of coverage using a D7 (5W) with 9dB antenna when you're more
than about 30km from any of the major towns along the coast between
batemans and lakes entrance, I'm thinking I'm better off dropping the D7
down to 500mW and switching it to UHF, then put my FT8100R into cross-band
repeat mode, talking to the D7 at low power on UHF (assuming the min 5W
out of the 8100 won't swamp the D7 - might be best to disconnect the
external antenna and go back to rubber ducky..., and repeating it to the
APRS freq on VHF. - making use of the much higher power output on the
8100, plus its MUCH better receiver.. - Any suggestions of a spot in the
70cm band that I can use that won't bother anyone?

Also, what path should I have the D7 set to? It's still set to
RELAY,TRACE3-3, from when I was using it mobile, hmm, 5 years ago? (Was
using TRACE at Richard's request to map out coverage areas while marcus
and I were bored and spent a week driving all over Victoria while I was on
leave at one stage...)

Regards,

Damien

--