[OZAPRS] Digipeater Overlays in OZ

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Feb 9 12:31:27 EST 2007

> While on the subject.. What sort of overlay do you suggest
> for a Ui-Digi that is capable of both old and new Paradigms ?
> That is to say it still works with WIDE RELAY and has ZONE
> or Section digipeating enabled but has no TRACE capability
> at all ..

Thanks Tony,
I'd suggest giving it an "S" overlay, but then since all
digipeaers are supposed to include their capabilities in their
Beacon text, then I'd be sure to put it in this way:

W3,SSn,W,R.  But you insert the correct W@, or W3 for what is
receommended in that area, and change "SS" to whatever is your
local state, region or zone.  They are not limited to just two
bytes either, though that is what we use up here)..

Thanks
Bob, WB4APR.

 I found a page of yours with
> overlays suggested
> > but theres no overlay for this situation.
> >
> > Tony Hunt  VK5AH wavetel at internode.on.net

Users'"
> > <ozaprs at aprs.net.au>
> > Sent: Friday, February 09, 2007 12:55 AM
> > Subject: RE: [OZAPRS] APRS on 30 metres HF (Robert Bruninga)
> >

> > > Regarding the HF path recommendation of VIA GATE,WIDE1-1:

> > > Are you saying that your area is a WIDE-only network that
does
> > > not even support WIDEn-N?  WIDE1-1 works everywhere
independent
> > > of whether New-N has been implemented or not, as long as
WIDEn-N
> > > works. WIDEn-N has been implemented since 1998 or so...
WIDE1-1
> > > is just a WIDEn-N with N=1.  If there are still some
WIDE-only
> > > locations that do not support WIDEn-N at all, then I think
it is
> > > probably time for those networks to consider the factor of
> > > 4 times QRM reduction available in WIDEn-N networks.
> > >
> > > The New-N Paradigm, is simply a recommended set of
settings for
> > > WIDEn-N networks to optimize their operations.  But even
if not
> > > implementd, WIDEn-N still works in those areas and so will
> > > WIDE1-1.  Even if 10% of the world is still WIDE-only,
then
> > > using WIDE1-1 will still give you a 90% better chance of
being
> > > heard than a WIDE-only packet if you propogate into those
other
> > > coutries.

expecting
regular use

> > > Most of the APRS world, not just the USA supports WIDEn-N
> > > digipeating (hence WIDE1-1).

> > > Sorry, I get a dead link when I try that from here..
> > >
> > > Bob, WB4APR

why...