[OZAPRS] Don't panic, I'll go away again soon ;)

VK4ARI vk4ari at vk4pkt.id.au
Wed Feb 7 18:51:02 EST 2007

Greetings

Sorry to break from current maps discussion but thought a heads up a good
idea. Don't expect spell check though I'm too beat lol.

I'm having a bit of a play with APRS from the home location in Logan
between Brisbane and the Gold Coast.

Nothing flash or intended to become permenent or infrastructure. I'm quite
sure another digi/igate/hfgate is not needed locally It's simply a case of
too much time and a spare HF and VHF rig, a spare TNC and sound card
interface on my hands and the thought "wonder what I can play with now?"

For information sake system is running UI-VIEW32 through AGWPE ver
2005,127 driving a PK-232 in kiss for 145.175 and a Signalink SL-1+ and
FT-920 on 10.136.7.
Igate is enabled as I provide Echolink nodes etc in Brisbane and have the
bandwidth and I.P. No to spare so I thought "why not?"

I believe I am the southern most 2m RF station atm between Bris and the
GoldCoast so I have employed a "relay" in the alias string. If it turns
out that GME-3 can cover to the South better than I can anyway then I'll
drop that as soon as it is apparent.

At this stage I *think* (meaning I hope I have this right)

I AM set as an IGATE
I AM set to pass messages out on VHF to local stations
I AM operating as a rx only HF gateway also  (I am beaconing a status on
HF to "APRS" but not sure if I should be RX only totally?, perhaps someone
will advise)
I am NOT gating any local information out via either HF or Igate
While I AM acting as a VHF Relay I am NOT txing as digi through either
Igate or HFgate.

Now the caveat. I have no clue what so ever to current practices or
proceedures. All nice suggestions are welcome. The beacon clearly mentions
an email address and that I'm "learning". I have tried to set up as
documented on the available Aussie web sights but I'm sure we can agree
that there are some "conflicts" in opinion and the odds of getting it
right first time are pretty low. I have extensive packet eperience but
it's not quite the same is it?

It's pretty pointless messaging me through APRS at this point. It was a
fluke I saw a general message this morning that clued me into the fact I'd
gone to bed leaving local data Igating, hey it was 3.30am!! ;) (Thanks
Andrew) A polite email to the addess provided and a clear non
condescending explaination suitable for someone of limited knowledge on
the subject as to what I might be doing wrong and how it is adversly
effecting the network will get best results and prompt action. Tips on how
to configure to fix the problem are even better. Flaming on the other hand
may have different results..... ;)

OK enough from me, don't despair. As the title says I'll get board and go
away soon.....most likely

Thanks for your time

Ari

VK4ARI / VK4PKT