[OZAPRS] Aviation position reporting

Andrew Rich vk4tec at people.net.au
Tue Apr 17 23:44:33 EST 2007

Maybe this might be of interest.

In the aviation circles we are seeing two emerging position reporting
technologies.

These are:-

1. ADS-B
2. Multi Lateration

ADS-B or Automatic Surveillance Dependant Broadcast, is picking up GPS and
sending your poistion on 1090 MHz.
Each position report is quick, we are talking us. It sounds like a click.
Aircraft send each 1/2 second, randomly.

Multilateration, is a series of highly synchronised ground stations,
receiving a commong signal. This technique
uses time of arrival to determin the position of an object. There is wide
area and local multilateration.

ADS-B is currenly gaining momentum in Australia, with most RPT airlines
equipped.

Tasmania will be the first to have multi-lat.

We are seeing a new generation of RADARS coming soon, smart ones. That can
talk to planes.
Andrew Rich
Amateur radio callsign VK4TEC
email: vk4tec at people.net.au