[OZAPRS] Small mobile TNC

vk7arn vk7arn at bigpond.com
Fri Apr 13 06:07:30 EST 2007

Bob

No problem with any of this.  I use (and paid for) AGWPE Pro, Tracker and
other
AGW software.  I prefer AGWTracker to UIView for day to day use.  I
purchased,
use and recommend the TNC function of the USB uTNT.  However, it would be
silly
not to warn prospective users of the possible consequences.  Based on the
mail
of the Yahoo group which Ioannis uses as his prime update and support
medium,
and on other anectodal evidence, there are significant concerns relating
supply and support.  Hardware gets lost in transit/sometimes has problems
- but
is replaced.  (I mentioned earlier some of this may be overcome by supply
now
available ex US - and since doing so find the supplier is currently out of
stock). Software has bugs - but is usually fixed sooner or later.
Software has
obvious enhancement potential - some of which is realised with time.  I
too,
hope that Ioannis is able to continue to develop his wonderful tools.
Perhaps
this is the nature of APRS and Amateur Radio generally - but does it have
to be?

Regards

Roger vk7arn

Footnote - Interesting that a one man operation working out of a garage
(not
Elcom) is, via a good web presence, able to give the impression of an
enterprise
with a  capability much greater than it actually is.  Not so bad, except
for the
expectations it raises.  However, history involving a certain Mr Gates
says it
doesn't have to stay in the garage. (I hear howls of protests and comments
about
bugs not being fixed etc etc!)