[OZAPRS] HF APRS Mobile

Terry Neumann tfneumann at internode.on.net
Tue Apr 3 09:23:44 EST 2007

Andrew Rich wrote:

>What can I use for an antenna for 10 MHz APRS mobile ?
>
>Suggestions

http://www.rbe.net.au/~tfn/Amateur/Magna/Magna.html
<http://www.rbe.net.au/%7Etfn/Amateur/Magna/Magna.html>

I also have a seriously modified Mobile One 27 MHz helical whip which
was rewound in its entirety to work on 10 MHz.   It is more or less
interchangeable with the top load system in the article.   I've never
been able to decide which one works best, but voice contacts suggest
that the top load system wins out.

When I'm off road in the ute (i.e. next week if I get the radio
installation complete by then) I prefer to use the helical as it is much
less affected by vehicle gyrations in creek crossings etc.   The top
load system has a fair amount of mass to it, but is OK for highway
cruising.   It's been observed to cause a circumspect response when I
come up behind other drivers who may have been speeding, especially if I
have a few other whips on the car at the time.  ;-)

I suggest that there is no serious option to using a vertical antenna
for mobile work.

73
Terry