[OZAPRS] APRS antenna for an airplane

G T & C A Beagley beagley at xtra.co.nz
Sat Sep 16 18:36:30 EST 2006

Many years ago (in the days of those tansparent glass thingies with
inbuilt heating)  I took some Amateur mates Aero Mobile over Auckland
 City to 10000ft.
We bolted a 2m groundplane upside down to the step of a Cherokee140.
Worked like a charm. Had a bit of a fright when the insulation on the HT
cables to the output valves caught fire though after about 40 mins of
QSO's. Fortunately they went out when the power was shut down. Quite an
experience. Awfully long takeoff run with 4 blokes, full tanks, heavy
radio gear and a couple of 100AH Lead Acids.
Also managed to feed a coax out the cabin top air-vent to a CB antenna
(Coax sleeve folded back to make a sort of dipole) tied to the top of
the tail and it worked too. At least the CB was all transistor!

Graham

ZL1GTB

Andrew Rich wrote:

>Any suggestions ?

G T & C A Beagley
24 Blomfield St
Rotorua 3015
New Zealand

Ph 07 3460677
(64 7 3460677)
Mob 0274 531584

--
This outgoing message certified virus free.