[OZAPRS] European v US new paradigm

Richard Hoskin vk3jfk at amsat.org
Mon Oct 23 21:28:35 EST 2006

Hi Scott,

I tried to get some discussion happening some time ago on the admin list
but
it did not go very far so we assumed that most people were in agreement or
did not care. You were one of the few contributors.

If anyone wants to read about the 'New Paradigms' visit
http://web.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs/fix14439.html

The EU new-paradigm in VK3 will support the US new-paradigm and retain
RELAY
and for a time WIDE. (The retention of WIDE is to reduce Operator
confusion
and be backwards compatible with the 144.900Mhz system during cut-over.)
So
there is some cross compatibility. VK3 will support a maximum of 3 digi
hops
in the US form of WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 however WIDE3-3 will not be supported
nor
will VICn-N at this time.

VK3 Digipeaters that have been converted to the new-paradigm will use an
overlay symbol of L. Relay only station will use an overlay symbol of 1.
They currently use E,T & R but this was an oversight.

Cheers
Richard
VK3JFK