[OZAPRS] New n-N VK7 suggested settings

Richard Hoskin vk3jfk at amsat.org
Mon Nov 13 10:39:11 EST 2006

Gday Scott,

> If worst case scenario occurs then reluctantly maybe the budlist could
be
> implemented within Ui-Digi (this is something I personally dislike) to
> filter out certain digis on both sides of the puddle!

Budlisting can cause you more problems that it fixes and I don't like it
for
anything other than a last resort.

> Currently there are only 3 I-Gates running here in VK7
>
> VK7DIK (Rosebery W TAS)
> VK7DC (Burnie NW TAS)
> VK7HDM-12 (Hobart)
>
> VK7AX-8 (Ulverstone) has not been on air for a while ???
>
> Some people forget that Tassie is bloody hilly terrain making an extra
hop
> necessary! As to the question on how many hops to the nearest I-Gate it
> really depends on where you are! (Without being feci shush) WIDE3-3 for
> Tassie ensures you would be heard reliably!
>
> I-Gates are something that needs to be addressed in time as usage
> increases!

Why not use Pre-empting on a state basis (as Tony suggested) and allow the
digipeaters to extend the paths of Mobiles and home station where more
than
2 hops are required to get to / from an IGate. Then when a new IGate in an
area is established you can turn the Pre-empting off. The users do not
have
to change their paths, it's all done for them.

In regards to the hilly terrain this may be an advantage in planning your
RF
Network. It allows you to easily create Cells and IGate Zones so that they
don't interfere with each other. You can also use fill-in digis where
coverage is bad.

I've used the natural geography of VK3 to divide our digis into cells and
zones. In most cases we have deliberately limited digipeater to mobile
coverage to roughly an 80Km to 100Km radius. This reduces the hidden
transmitter problems and increases the network efficiency. Bigger single
digipeater coverage is not always better.

Cheers
Richard
VK3JFK.