[OZAPRS] European v USnewparadigmand pathlimiting +confusion....

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Nov 11 01:41:43 EST 2006

> For areas that want to clamp it to a maximum of two digi
> hops, why not do the following:
> 1.  Let mobiles use the guideline of "APRS v WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2";
> 2.  Add "WIDE2-2" to the UIDIGI list, so that is trapped the
same
>     as WIDE7-7, and callsign substituted and no further hops

Except that would also trap local uses of W2-2 to one hop also.
But you are on the right track.  Lets see..... If we have two
metro areas that 3 hops would cause mobiles in one to be seen in
the other, then there is a digipeater somewhere in the middle
that has to be involved in the link.  That digi will be involved
in the middle hop.  So if mobiles are all using WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2,
then what this middle digi will see is WIDE1-1*,WIDE2-1.

Maybe if these middle digis (between two metro areas that don't
want to see each other) would then TRAP "WIDE2-1", then I think
you would have a nice system:

1) Mobiles could ALL use WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 (for 3 hops during
distant travels)
2) These two metro areas would not be bothered by routine
mobiles from the other area
3) But would see out 3 hops in all other directions so they
could see their own distnat travelers in the boonies..

This also has no problem for the often recommended
WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 path for 2-HOP areas either.  Because a mobile
that uses W1-1,W2-1  will STILL GET 2 HOPS!  Because trapping
the second hop at WIDE2-1 is alerady the second hop anyway.
Thus it has no impact on those users either.

I kind of like this.  It lets mobiles routinely use 3 hops
everywhere, yet it traps their third hop in any areas where
local sysops do not want to see them.

Bottom line:
1) Recommend WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 for mobiles everywhere
2) Set UIDIGI to TRAP WIDE2-1 in FIREWALL DIGIS that surround
areas that do not want to see distnat 3 hop mobiles.  Notice,
this is a surrounding ring of digis, because you cannot trap the
3rd hop -in- the area where you want to minimize QRM, you have
to trap WIDE2-1 in the digi BEFORE the digis that you don't want
to repeat the 3rd hop.

De WB4APR,
Bob

> In other words, it appears easy for paths to be truncated in
> the network, to
> suit local needs...  but of course it's pretty hard to expand
> a user's path
> to be longer, for the more remote areas (where long paths are
needed).

> Regards,
>

> Chris
> vk6kch

VK:

> > Bob Said
> >
> >> Boy was I wrong.  I just zoomed on the first call I saw and
> >> found that even Adelade is probably just about optimally
loaded
> >> and cannot afford much coming in from say Melbourne without
> >> having some impact on throughput.  I see 50 stations within
50
> >> miles of Adelade and that is about as high as you want to
go
> >> without losing reliability for small trackers.
> >>
> >> Then I zoomed in on Melbourne and see that it is as dense
as
> >> some of our highest density cities in the USA!  We use
WIDE2-2
http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs/fix14439.html

> >> Seeing these maps, I now am convinced that you are on the
right
> >> track to implement the New-N paradigm measures to help
improve
> >> the reliability of local area APRS.  And since these
population
> >> densities seem quite well focused with big gaps inbetween,
then
> >> it does make sense to limit the WIDEn-N hops so that
mobiles in