[OZAPRS] VK3 IGate / Zone system.

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Nov 8 07:34:57 EST 2006

> How do you limit traffic to one zone?

Use ZONEn-N

> How do you do interzone routing without involving other zones?

Use WIDEn-N

> How do you identify/define the zones easily?

It should already be done.  I am not familiar with Australia,
but in the USA, all amateur radio communications volunteer
organizations, and nets are organized along clear lines such as
by County, then by State or "section".  Sections are "radio"
boundries defined to best match the communities served in large
states.  So presumably in Australia, you similarly have already
configured volunteer communicaitons organization.  So your zone
matches their authority.  This is because they have "zone" wide
responsibilty and if they are using APRS in support of an event
or disaster, then they want to communicate to the whole zone.

If you do not have such existing communications boundaries and
plans, then you don't need ZONES at all, because all commms with
APRS then is only a local issue, and that is covered by WIDE2-2
or WIDE3-3 or whatever.

> How do you explain in simple terms to a newcomer how
> to configure his path?

Simple.  WIDEn-N.

Now if he is *participating in a ZONE wide EVENT* or net, then
he should know that and he should understand to use ZZZn-N for
*that* particular ZZZ event or temporary net.

> IMHO you have a unnecessarily high maintenance, hard to
> understand system.

It is very simple.  Use WIDEn-N if you don't undersand your
local communications organizations.  If you do, and your local
communications area has established a ZONE with clear
boundaries, then use that for those special ZONE comunications
events.  Done.

Bob

> Dion.
>

> On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 17:04:22 +1100, Richard Hoskin
> <vk3jfk at amsat.org>
> wrote:
>

> > This is a brief explanation of the way IGates are zoned in
VK3, Mt
> > Gambier
> > (VK5) & southern NSW (VK2).
> >

> > Summary
> >

> > To maintain high levels of efficiency and provide the
> widest possible
> > mobile
> > coverage on the APRS Network it is important to have a
> well-designed
> > network
> > based on a sound strategy. To this end the APRS network has
> been divided
> > into Zones, which are linked together by the internet
> through IGates. The
> > concept is similar to the GSM mobile phone network.
> >

> > Details
> >
> > An IGate Zone is an area that is covered by a single RX
> Only IGate. The
> > Zone
> > extends a maximum of 2 hops (Wide Digipeaters) from the RX
> Only IGate.
> > The
> > RX Only IGate is located as close as possible to the centre
> of the Zone.
> >

> > The central TX IGate injects local internet APRS traffic
> into the RF
> > network
> > which propagates through the state's RF network. This
reduces the
> > possible
> > complications of hidden transmitters and timing issues
> allowing for a
> > more
> > efficient RF system. It also means that data entering the
> system from any
> > one of the zones RX Only IGates is propagated through all
> other zones via
> > the central TX IGate. This again reduces network traffic
> while providing
> > mechanism which allows the APRS users data to propagate
> through the RF
> > Network.
> >

> > An IGate Zone is defined in detail in the document 'APRS
> Network Design
> > for
> > VK3'. For an explanation on Wide Digipeaters read the
> document 'APRS New
> > User Path Information Guide'
> >

> > Traffic levels are the greatest limiting factor in the size
> of the IGate
> > Zone.
> >

> > To prevent packet duplication and network looping problems,
> (that very
> > quickly overload the local RF network) only one RX Only
> IGate per Zone is
> > used. It is also much more cost effective to have only one
> IGate in a
> > zone.
> >

> > The RX Only IGates will also function as a local message
> gateway which RX
> > and TX local APRS messages for the area. The coverage area
> of the Local
> > message zone is considered to be a maximum of two hops from
> the local RX
> > Only IGate. The local RX Only IGate shall have a path of
> APRS via "the
> > Local
> > Wide Digi",WIDE.
> >

> > APRS 'Wide Digipeaters' are currently programmed to
> digipeat the alias's
> > RELAY, WIDE, TRACE, INETZ[x], WIDEn-N, Tracen-N.
> >

> > Victorian Zones
> >

> > Victoria has been divided into 6 IGate Zones; 5 Zones
> operate RX Only
> > IGates
> > and 1 Zone is the main State TX IGate as well as the local
RX IGate

http://www.opera.com/mail/