[OZAPRS] VK3 IGate / Zone system.

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Nov 8 07:45:40 EST 2006

> based on a sound strategy. To this end the APRS network has
> been divided into Zones, which are linked together by
> the internet through IGates....

I agree, that if these "zones" are an Igate only-thing invented
just for APRS, then this approach is worse than we had before.
It is arbitrary and adds to confusion.  Again, the only reason
for the SSn-N system is for providing a means for SS-area
communications where the SS areas are FULLY wsell defined going
all the way bck 60 years and on which the entire amateur radio
volunteer system and organizations at the local level expect to
work in an emergency.

If such an existing SS type of communications areas are not
already part of the comms infrastructure, then there is no need
to invent one for APRS.  Just use WIDEn-N and keep all
communicaitons local.  But if such EXISTING communications
organizational boundaries already exist, then use the SSn-N
system to help with their cmmunicaitnos needs.

I am using SSn-N (as we use in the USA) interchangeabley with
the "ZONE" system we have been talkking about in this thread in
Australia.  But I was not aware that "zones" was being applied
to an arbitrary Igate zone system.  That is not what SSn-N was
all about.  And Igates should not be zoned, but should simply be
individually set to a path to work compatibly with all other
Igates to minimize overlaps.  Usually only 1 hop.  Maybe 2 in
some remote areas.  There is no need for zones at all for I
gates...  Or at least, not to have an n-N routing system since
an Igate is always at the center of its own "zone" and that area
is defined simply by its local digi...

Ohw well.  Maybe we have confused things.  Sorry...
Bob, WB4APR

 The
> concept is similar to the GSM mobile phone network.
>

> Details
>
> An IGate Zone is an area that is covered by a single RX Only
> IGate. The Zone
> extends a maximum of 2 hops (Wide Digipeaters) from the RX
> Only IGate. The
> RX Only IGate is located as close as possible to the centre
> of the Zone.
>

> The central TX IGate injects local internet APRS traffic into
> the RF network
> which propagates through the state's RF network. This reduces
> the possible
> complications of hidden transmitters and timing issues
> allowing for a more
> efficient RF system. It also means that data entering the
> system from any
> one of the zones RX Only IGates is propagated through all
> other zones via
> the central TX IGate. This again reduces network traffic
> while providing a
> mechanism which allows the APRS users data to propagate
through the RF
> Network.
>

> An IGate Zone is defined in detail in the document 'APRS
> Network Design for
> VK3'. For an explanation on Wide Digipeaters read the
> document 'APRS New
> User Path Information Guide'
>

> Traffic levels are the greatest limiting factor in the size
> of the IGate
> Zone.
>

> To prevent packet duplication and network looping problems,
(that very
> quickly overload the local RF network) only one RX Only IGate
> per Zone is
> used. It is also much more cost effective to have only one
> IGate in a zone.
>

> The RX Only IGates will also function as a local message
> gateway which RX
> and TX local APRS messages for the area. The coverage area of
> the Local
> message zone is considered to be a maximum of two hops from
> the local RX
> Only IGate. The local RX Only IGate shall have a path of APRS
> via "the Local
> Wide Digi",WIDE.
>

> APRS 'Wide Digipeaters' are currently programmed to digipeat
> the alias's
> RELAY, WIDE, TRACE, INETZ[x], WIDEn-N, Tracen-N.
>

> Victorian Zones
>

> Victoria has been divided into 6 IGate Zones; 5 Zones operate
> RX Only IGates
> and 1 Zone is the main State TX IGate as well as the local RX
IGate