[OZAPRS] VK3 IGate / Zone system.

Richard Hoskin vk3jfk at amsat.org
Tue Nov 7 18:30:24 EST 2006

Dion,

This is a flexible system that uses the UI-Digi Pre-emptive digipeating.

Don't think of it in the terms that are being discussed here with
SSn-n/Zonen-n as it uses a different concept based on cells with an
Internet
backbone. It is a holistic coverage approach that minimises traffic while
providing all station with a full view of the network on RF.

The system is transparent to the users, they only need to set a path of
RELAY,WIDE (or WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1) for mobiles and 'Their closest digi',WIDE
for home stations. We've tried to used the KISS principle but for those
that
need a little extra help with a local path they can visit
http://vk3.aprs.net.au/packet_path_guide.htm

Once setup there is no additional maintenance required and some redundancy
is built in.

Cheers
Richard
VK3JFK

The
> > Zone
> > extends a maximum of 2 hops (Wide Digipeaters) from the RX Only IGate.
> > The
> > RX Only IGate is located as close as possible to the centre of the
Zone.

> > The central TX IGate injects local internet APRS traffic into the RF
> > network
> > which propagates through the state's RF network. This reduces the
> > possible
> > complications of hidden transmitters and timing issues allowing for a
> > more
> > efficient RF system. It also means that data entering the system from
> any
> > one of the zones RX Only IGates is propagated through all other zones
> via
> > the central TX IGate. This again reduces network traffic while
providing
> > mechanism which allows the APRS users data to propagate through the RF
> > Network.
> >

> > An IGate Zone is defined in detail in the document 'APRS Network
Design
> > for
> > VK3'. For an explanation on Wide Digipeaters read the document 'APRS
New
> > User Path Information Guide'
> >

> > Traffic levels are the greatest limiting factor in the size of the
IGate
> > Zone.
> >

> > To prevent packet duplication and network looping problems, (that very
> > quickly overload the local RF network) only one RX Only IGate per Zone
> is
> > used. It is also much more cost effective to have only one IGate in a
> > zone.
> >

> > The RX Only IGates will also function as a local message gateway which
> RX
> > and TX local APRS messages for the area. The coverage area of the
Local
> > message zone is considered to be a maximum of two hops from the local
RX

http://au.messenger.yahoo.com