[OZAPRS] European v USnewparadigmand pathlimiting +confusion....

Chris Hill chris.hill at crhtelnet.com.au
Wed Nov 8 14:06:35 EST 2006

Hi All,

May I suggest the following "KISS" outcome for APRS in VK:

1.  Mobiles set path to "APRS v WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2"

2.  Home users set path to "APRS v WIDE3-3"

3.  Home users do NOT configure their systems to be WIDE (or WIDE1-1)
digipeaters (without detailed RF co-channel interference analysis first)

4.  The whole "ZONEn-n" issue is left up to each region / club to decide
and
promulgate, depending on the regional needs.  (Makes sense...  only those
"in the know" need to know...  otherwise you just drive through an area
using the default path of "APRS v WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2").  The regional ZONEn-n
settings can be promulgated via websites and 1 hourly bulletins.

Hopefully this keeps everyone happy, and is so simple that the average
amateur looking at operating APRS, simply reads points 1, 2 and 3, and
says
"OK, I can do that...  easy!"

73

Chris