[OZAPRS] European v USnewparadigmand pathlimiting +confusion....

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Nov 8 06:38:04 EST 2006

> .. I believe ,
> that there is an issue with the first hop not being traced
> correctly when
> the WIDE parameter is employed in the UItrace config. I think
Bob has
> touched on this before as well.

Yes, in v8.2 ROMS, the WIDE1-1 has to be separately listed in
the UIDIGI list, which uses up one of the 4 calls we were using
as TRAPS for large N's.  But since user education will
eventually eliminate most large N's, this is a small sacrifice.
So for an 8.2 rom the UIDIGI list has to be:

UIDIGI ON WIDE1-1,WIDE5-5,WIDE6-6,WIDE7-7

But if you also use ZONEs and are also going to encourage the
use of ZONE1-1,ZONEn-N so that the first and last digi in the
path are traced, then you really want the UIDIGI list in an 8.2
digi to be:

UIDIGI ON ZONE1-1,WIDE1-1,WIDE6-6,WIDE7-7

And you really only get the two traps, 6-6 and 7-7.  But people
are learning in most areas to cut back on N, and with eveything
being much simplified, then user education will go much better
at cleaning up the network than relying on DIGIS to always TRAP
large values of N anyway.... So that is not too much of a
problem.

Bob, WB4APR