[OZAPRS] European v USnewparadigmand pathlimiting +confusion....

Dion Bramich vk7ybi at yahoo.com.au
Tue Nov 7 23:05:50 EST 2006

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 22:48:54 +1100, Terry Neumann <tfn at rbe.net.au> wrote:

> Chris Hill wrote:
>
>> Hi Richard,
>>
>> OK, so the simple rule is that home stations do NOT act as WIDE
>> digipeaters.
>> (makes sense, so I'm happy with that).
>>
>> I still see little value in setting mobile's default path to be along
>> the
>> lines of "APRS v WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2".  Why not just use "APRS v WIDE3-3"?
>>
>> In the special case of a home station being used as an infill digi
>> (where
>> there is a genuine blackhole to be filled, and minimal co-channel
>> interference risk), then surely the special case home station can use
>> UI-VIEW to digipeat intelligently (as per the post from Mike Townsend
>> yesterday)?
>>
>> The worst-case scenario is if the "special infill digi" is using an old
>> TNC-2, but without a PC connected...  in which case they might need a
>> special ROM blown for them?  (I'm sure someone would help with this).

A staion with a new ROM wont be able to use the TNC for anything but a
digi then.

>> Why
>> make every VK mobile use the path "APRS v WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2" just to
>> handle
>> that one special case?

So it works everwhere?

> (Sigh)
>
> Just my luck to be a "worst case scenario".
>
> I've been using my own MFJ-1278 or  KPC-3  as a simple digi with an
> alias of "relay" for my own local situation which has no coverage from
> other dedicated APRS intelligent repeaters.
>
> My mobile stations are set to a path of "relay, wide".    It works.   It
> will also work (and does) for anyone else who passes through the central
> north of VK5 who uses "relay" in their path.
>
> I would be very reluctant to fix something which isn't broken ....

This is the next half of the problem.  It works, so why change it.  I had

the same attitude too, till I did try it.  WIDE1-1 replaces RELAY, WIDEn-N

replaces WIDE, with the added benefit that it does proper dupe
superssion.  My MFJ has the WIDE1-1 alias set currently, but mostly the PC

runs on the same TNC and I let UI-View do the digiing.  If for any reason

the PC goes down the TNC will still fill the gap in much the same fasion.