[OZAPRS] European v USnewparadigmand pathlimiting +confusion....

Terry Neumann tfn at rbe.net.au
Tue Nov 7 22:48:54 EST 2006

Chris Hill wrote:

>Hi Richard,
>
>OK, so the simple rule is that home stations do NOT act as WIDE
digipeaters.
>(makes sense, so I'm happy with that).
>
>I still see little value in setting mobile's default path to be along the
>lines of "APRS v WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2".  Why not just use "APRS v WIDE3-3"?
>
>In the special case of a home station being used as an infill digi (where
>there is a genuine blackhole to be filled, and minimal co-channel
>interference risk), then surely the special case home station can use
>UI-VIEW to digipeat intelligently (as per the post from Mike Townsend
>yesterday)?
>
>The worst-case scenario is if the "special infill digi" is using an old
>TNC-2, but without a PC connected...  in which case they might need a
>special ROM blown for them?  (I'm sure someone would help with this).
Why
>make every VK mobile use the path "APRS v WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2" just to handle
>that one special case?

(Sigh)

Just my luck to be a "worst case scenario".

I've been using my own MFJ-1278 or  KPC-3  as a simple digi with an
alias of "relay" for my own local situation which has no coverage from
other dedicated APRS intelligent repeaters.

My mobile stations are set to a path of "relay, wide".    It works.   It
will also work (and does) for anyone else who passes through the central
north of VK5 who uses "relay" in their path.

I would be very reluctant to fix something which isn't broken ....

73
Terry
VK5ATN