[OZAPRS] European v USnewparadigmand pathlimiting +confusion....

Chris Hill chris.hill at crhtelnet.com.au
Tue Nov 7 22:29:30 EST 2006

Hi Richard,

OK, so the simple rule is that home stations do NOT act as WIDE
digipeaters.
(makes sense, so I'm happy with that).

I still see little value in setting mobile's default path to be along the
lines of "APRS v WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2".  Why not just use "APRS v WIDE3-3"?

In the special case of a home station being used as an infill digi (where
there is a genuine blackhole to be filled, and minimal co-channel
interference risk), then surely the special case home station can use
UI-VIEW to digipeat intelligently (as per the post from Mike Townsend
yesterday)?

The worst-case scenario is if the "special infill digi" is using an old
TNC-2, but without a PC connected...  in which case they might need a
special ROM blown for them?  (I'm sure someone would help with this).  Why
make every VK mobile use the path "APRS v WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2" just to handle
that one special case?

Is there really a compelling case for recommending that mobiles use a path
of "APRS v WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2" in Australia?  If not, can we simplify it to
just "APRS v WIDE3-3"...  nice and easy!

Regards,

Chris
vk6kch