[OZAPRS] European v USnewparadigmand pathlimiting +confusion....

Dion Bramich vk7ybi at yahoo.com.au
Tue Nov 7 11:48:15 EST 2006

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 09:42:49 +1100, Andrew McDade <amcdade at iprimus.com.au>

wrote:

> Gday all,
>
> I think Bob summed it up here
>
>> The SSn-N is for organizing APRS
>> communications networks around specific organized communication
>> areas and needs.  Not specifically geographic areas.
>
> Perhaps referring to this as SSn-n is causing some confusion. Id prefer

> it to be referred to as ZONEn-n. And be based on a setup whereby the
> first 4 letters of the major centre containing the zone ( regions )
> igate is the path ie. MILDn-n = Mildura. LINCn-n = Port Llincoln,
> GAMBn-n = Mt Gambier, and so on. In Tasmania for example , instead of
> using TASn-n , perhaps we should use HOBAn-n or NTASn-n or STASn-n, If
> this zone covers the whole of a state then well be it. This will at
> least then head towards developing some sort of commonality between all

> states.

Yes, the whole of Tasmania could be handled quite easily with one zone.
Suggestion has been made elsewhere to use the VK call areas, but this
doesnt suit zoning properly.  While it adds consistency to the system, it

doesnt allow a town level zoning naming scheme.  There have been more
hands up for the town level with 4 letter approach so far.  Can we do a
poll somewhere?

> And to summarize Dion ...
>
> This is the most important point !!
>  >think its these differences that need to be sorted, like the confused
>> operator in the next message asks, which path will work?  If we could
>> all
>> settle on one configuration, this confusion would be eliminated.
>> Mobiles
>> that stay close to home would/could use SS1-1,SS2-2.  Roaming mobiles
>> would use WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2..  I think the US example is excellent, it
>> simplifies everything.
>
> Seems simple enough to me !!
>
> Only point here is perhaps we should refer to this as ZONEn-n instead of

> SSn-n. What to you think ?

Ok, ZONEn-N it is, but I prefer to refer to things by their proper names.

Dion.