[OZAPRS] European v USnewparadigmand pathlimiting +confusion....

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Nov 7 01:52:46 EST 2006

> Your right, Tassie needs are different to other states.
> So I'd suggest that SSn-n may work for you but it would
> not work for VK3 or maybe VK5 etc.

I'm not sure what "would not work" means.  It will always work,
the only question is whether the zone is too big or too small,
or whether people use in at the wrong time for the wrong things.

> In VK3 we have implemented a different 'Zone' system which I
> will talk about later.

That may be like what we do here in large "states".  We further
break the state down into our ARRL radio sections.  So, for
example, there is an EPA and a WPA section for Easter PA and
Western PA.  Since these are our amateur radio organizational
boundaries, they work very well, because emermgeny traffic and
"state" nets are organized around their existing organizations
and infrastructures so, the APRS "zones" are best matched to
those areas.

Also, this makes most such zones practical in size too.  Even in
big metro areas that may be on the border of state lines, there
ususally is an ARRL section that covers that METRO area
independent of state lines.  In that case, again, the APRS SSn-N
matches the "section name" and not the State name.

I hope that helps.  The SSn-N is for organizing APRS
communications networks around specific organized communication
areas and needs.  Not specifically geographic areas.

Bob, WB4APR