[OZAPRS] European v USnewparadigmand pathlimiting +confusion....

Richard Hoskin vk3jfk at amsat.org
Mon Nov 6 21:48:21 EST 2006

Hi,

I've been busy with other things so I have not been near email for a while
so please forgive the late replies.

We don't need to use WIDE5-5 or State5-5 to cover from one end of our
state
to the other, even though we have about 25 digis in the state and it is 6
hops from one side to the other. We use the IGates and the Internet as the
back bone of the network. No station is more than 2 hops from an RX Only
IGate and all stations that are heard by an IGate are retransmitted to the
rest of the state's APRS stations via the central Tx/Rx IGate. This IGate
is
located in the centre of the RF network and is only 3 hops from any part
of
the RF network. The traffic from the central TX/RX Igate ripples out
through
the RF network like ripples on a pond. This approach removes the need for
long paths while providing a more reliable and manageable communications
system from one end of the state to the other.

Cheers
Richard
VK3JFK