[OZAPRS] European v USnewparadigmand pathlimiting +confusion....

Richard Hoskin vk3jfk at amsat.org
Mon Nov 6 22:05:10 EST 2006

Gday Dion,

TAS3-3,
> I can flood Tasmania and the Victorians will see nothing of me on their
> digis via RF.  However without state or zone based routing, I havent got
> that ability..  It's just so simple, it cant not be a good thing!

I think the VK3s would like to see the occasional VK7 beacon. However we
are
a bit weary of mobiles that may have beacon rates set to excessive levels
eg
more than one beacon per minute. Even with a path of TAS3-3 you will still
have an impact on some of VK3 Digipeaters, especially if your beacon rate
is
high.

> I wouldnt like to see Tasmania 'zoned'.  We dont need to, theres not so
> many operators that it needs to be done, and with TAS3-3 we can be
mobile
> anywhere in the state and still be seen at home with no igating,
ideally.
> My view of the ultimate network in Tasmania is one in which everything
> happens on RF, no gating from internet to RF apart from a select few of
> interstate stations that locals are interested in here.  If ever local
> traffic did increase substantially, we could split the state in half
with
> NTASn-N and STASn-N, but I dont envisage any problems in the foreseeable
> future.

I think Tassie is in a unique situation. Being an island you will not
experience the same cross border issues as the rest of us do.

> However, whats suitable for other larger states needs to be looked at.
> guess were lucky in that we dont have a huge number of operators that
need

Your right, Tassie needs are different to other states. So I'd suggest
that
SSn-n may work for you but it would not work for VK3 or maybe VK5 etc.

In VK3 we have implemented a different 'Zone' system which I will talk
about
later.

Cheers
Richard