[OZAPRS] AX25 under Debian sending non APRS packets

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Mon May 1 17:07:21 EST 2006

On Sat, Apr 29, 2006 at 11:24:41AM +0930, Craig Turner wrote:
> At the moment its all working almost perfectly. I can only use the AX0
> interface as root, so at the moment I have to run xastir as root to
access
> the radio port. I am not sure how to resolve this at the moment, it may
be
> because I am starting the ax25 interface from a console script as root.
> Anyway, thats not my main problem...

That's normal. UI packet programs (any APRS application) need to listen
to all packets on the interface, and that needs root permission. You
can't change that, except to modify the kernel source code.

> I've managed to decode the packets and they are:
>
> VK1HCT-1>QST>UI,?
>   IP: UDP, Source: 192.168.1.1, Dest: 192.168.1.255, Len: 252

> 192.168.1.1 being the IP number I have assigned to AX0 port. It looks to
> me like some process is either pinging the port or sending a beacon. At
> this point APRSD isn't running.

That's possibly samba, if you're running it. If so, suggest modifying
the configuration file and looking for the interfaces = clause, make
sure that ax0 does not qualify.

Hamish