[OZAPRS] PCSAT-1 and PCSAT2 Monitoring and use.

Richard Hoskin (VK3JFK) vk3jfk at wia.org.au
Thu Mar 16 18:16:31 EST 2006

FYI

The VK3JFK ground station is currently monitoring PCSAT1 & PCSAT2 on
145.825Mhz

On Saturday the VK3JFK ground station will revert back to monitoring ISS
for
APRS activity.

PCSAT-1 and PCSAT2 are showing lots of activity operating as a
constellation
of two digipeaters both on 145.825, giving most users about 12 passes per
day of packet QSO activity.  Remember, only attended operations are
authorized.

We are seeing over 60 users per day and some experimentation with the
Mailbox and the PSK-31 experiment on PCSAT2.

Today is PCSAT-1's last day in full sun, but we hope as long as users DO
NOT
OPERATE IN THE DARK, she may be with us for another week or so.  But if it
resets just once due to overload, we will loose her until next winter.

On the 16th we have to QSY PCSAT2 back to UHF to avoid the ARISS school
contact.

Digipeat via either bird using the unproto path of

APRS VIA WIDE2-2.    Details of PSK-31 will be

included in the next email...

de Wb4APR, Bob

>>> "Robert Bruninga" <bruninga at usna.edu> 03/10/06 3:06 PM >>>

PCSAT2 - PCSAT-1 Joint Ops Report:

On the 1855Z pass on 11 March of both PCSAT2 and PCSAT-1 over the USA, we
copied 4 telemetry packets From PCSAT2 out over the central Atlantic via
PCSAT-1 which was over Eastern Canada.

Also got an unbelievable 2 APRS packets from

MM0HMM-2 via just PCSAT-1 for a UK to USA path of 3341 miles from Western
Scotland to Annapolis Maryland.

Now that PCSAT-1 is fully OPS normal this week in full sun, activity is
picking up.  The web page shows about 50 stations in the last 2 days:

http://pcsat.aprs.org <http://pcsat.aprs.org/>

Whereas PCSAT2 digipeater only shows about

8 uers:   http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/pcsat2.cgi

This dual satellite operation on 145.825 will only last until 16 March
when
we have to QSY PCSAT2 back to UHF to avoid interference with a school
contact.

Use the path of VIA WIDE2-2 and if positions are right you will go through
either satellite or both.

We need any IGates or SATgates to make sure they are listening on 145.825
arond the world for any potential dual-hop packets..  You can use the
FIND-ON-THIS-PAGE of yoru browser to look for the dual hop packets.  On
the
PCSAT2 page just look for PCSAT-1 and vice versa.

de Wb4APR

US Naval Academy Satellite Lab

Cheers,

Richard