[OZAPRS] information on APRS in Australia.

Mike Zwingl oe3mzc oe3mzc at oevsv.at
Mon Jun 19 17:39:30 EST 2006

Hello Kiely,
since I plan to travel from Perth to Darwin and Alice in
July/August/September 2006 (soon!) with a 4WD, I have asked similar
question
and got following answer (see below) . Please keep me posted with your
expierience.
vy 73 de Mike
oe3mzc or VK3FPF/6
-----------------------------original Msg---------------------

Hi Mike .. I see you posted a email to the OzAPRS group as well.. All of
the
HF gateway operators are subscribed to that list ..

Fine on your trip.. Most of the time on your trip 2m will be useless. The
2m
frequency is 145.175 . This will work in all capital cities ok using
RELAY,WIDE as the path . Melbourne and VK3 is 144.900 .. Perth and Darwin
would be ok with 145.175 ..

HF is different. You will get very good coverage on 30m. We use 10.147.6
USB
with Tiny Trak 3 . There is the occasional breif Voice chat on there as
well
using USB. I run a Tiny Trak 3 at times when I am away from the City here.
Use a path of GATE,WIDE . See
http://www.aprs.net.au/hf_aprs_information.htm
http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?vk5ah-15

On VHF use a SSID of -9 and on HF use -15 .

The full time HF gates are VK4DMI and VK3SB VK3JFK

Also if I know your comming I can switch one on here in Adelaide also. I
do
this for travellers particularly during holiday periods. This will help.
Generally we find that we get from 500km to 3000km radius from the HF
gates
with pretty good coverage.

VK5EX just drove from Adelaide to Darwin and we tracked him all the way
with
well over 20 posits a day normally on 30m. The year before last he drove
Alice Springs and then across the the North West Coast of VK6 and we
tracked
this as well..

Let us know on the OzAPRS mail list when you arrive and we will look out
for
your signals and start switching on more Gates if we need to on HF .. We
will all be very interested to track your progress..

There are currently no other HF APRS frequencies supported in VK with any
regularity.. They do use 40m in ZL but Ive found it is too noisy for APRS
work most of the time and in VK8 VK6 it is even more cluttered.

Tony & Eva Hunt  VK5AH wavetel at bigpond.com