[OZAPRS] information on APRS in Australia.

Richard Hoskin vk3jfk at amsat.org
Mon Jun 19 18:52:49 EST 2006

Gents,

To complement HF APRS you might want to consider APRS via ISS.
ISS is very easy to access with a HH and a 1/4 wave antenna on the roof of
the car. There are at least 2 permanent ground stations in Eastern VK on
the
downlink. The ISS digi is off occasionally during school contacts, special
events and space ship dockings. You should be able to get an idea of the
operational schedule from http://www.issfanclub.com/

The path to use for HF is GATE,WIDE and for ISS is SGATE,WIDE You can
easily
put each path in one of the TT3's 2 profiles. www.aprs.net.au has some
information on these systems.

It would also be worth connecting to APRS-IS server
first.aprs.net.au:14579
to get an idea of VHF Digi's that may cover the areas where you expect to
travel. All VK except VK3 (Victoria) operates on 145.175Mhz. Most of VK3
operates on 144.900Mhz.

Cheers
Richard
VK3JFK