[OZAPRS] Igates etc.

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Jul 13 23:41:15 EST 2006

I rescind my post below.  Reason being, that the main reason we
never got good success on 40m was QRM and not enough people
trying.  And also, when I said we had lots of experience with our
boats, and the higher freq worked better.... I remember now that
we use a 6 MHz (Navy) freq for all our boat tracking and it went
very well.  And what I was remembering was that attempts to use
3 and 4 MHz marine bands were poor...

So although we just stayed on the 10 MHz 30m freq, my feeling
was that we should have done some real investigations of
40.  So I will butt back out, because I think we just dont know.
And tracking in the outback is a unique situation to your country.

But I have heard that 30m in europe is practically useless because
of people gating VHF to the single HF channel.  A really stupid
thing to do.  Again, I RESCIND my opinion below.  I had not
had my morning coffee yet...  de WB4APR, Bob

>>> bruninga at usna.edu 07/13/06 9:19 AM >>>
>>> hhl at bigpond.net.au 07/12/06 10:58 PM >>>
>As for trying different bands, it's been done and in my opinion,
>30m is still the best and until it gets real busy, there is no point in
>fragmenting.

We tried APRS on other bands back in the USA in the 1992 to 1996
time frame and concluded the same.  Yes there were times that lower
could work better, but not as often as 30m did.  THus if you only
have one rig, then its best to be on 30m.  Also propogation
on the lower bands even when it was good for voice, had too much
symbol spreading to be decodable at 300 baud.

But again, things on HF are always changing and so this is not
intended to suppress experimentation.  Just sharing our results
of many years of using HF for tracking the naval Academy boats
on summer cruise.

de Wb4APR, Bob