[OZAPRS] Igates etc.

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Jul 13 23:19:02 EST 2006

>>> hhl at bigpond.net.au 07/12/06 10:58 PM >>>
>As for trying different bands, it's been done and in my opinion,
>30m is still the best and until it gets real busy, there is no point in
>fragmenting.

We tried APRS on other bands back in the USA in the 1992 to 1996
time frame and concluded the same.  Yes there were times that lower
could work better, but not as often as 30m did.  THus if you only
have one rig, then its best to be on 30m.  Also propogation
on the lower bands even when it was good for voice, had too much
symbol spreading to be decodable at 300 baud.

But again, things on HF are always changing and so this is not
intended to suppress experimentation.  Just sharing our results
of many years of using HF for tracking the naval Academy boats
on summer cruise.

de Wb4APR, Bob