[OZAPRS] FYI - Re: Limited USER operations authorized.

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Wed Dec 27 15:42:27 EST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Bruninga " <bruninga at usna.edu>
> A radio license is to join the community of fellow ham radio hobbiests
and
> to share in the use of the spectrum that we all share in common.

Exactly.. Yet here's someone shoving a satellite into the sky and then
*imposing* 'requirements' on the use of it, with no explanation as to the
reasons behind it, and effectively removing the 'community' ownership
feeling that we'd been bestowed just a few days before when it and other
birds were made available to the community... Now it seems to be a simple
dictatorship rather than a community..  This is my issue..

> Yes, and that is why we make recommendations as to the best way for
> everyone to share the asset so that it works best for everyone.  That
is,
> by not shortening the life of the spacecraft by over use, or by
> authorizing excessive load on the uplink that would make it impossible
> use by anyone.

I didn't see any recommendations for sharing.. All I saw were some very
harshly worded 'requirements' that people MUST follow if they wished to
use
the bird..  When PCSAT was running out of juice, we were asked not to use
it
during certain times, and given some very detailed explanations on why..
So
we didn't use it.. That was fine..  With this bird, first we were told
'here
it is, on x frequency, have fun!', Then we're told 'THIS IS HOW YOU MUST
USE
THIS SATELLITE'..  No reasonsings, explanations, nothing..  That simply
doesn't fit with what I thought was the spirit of AR - freedom of
information and sharing of technology...

> Its too bad that education of users as to how to best use the APRS
network
> for the best good of everyone seems to be taken by some people as an
> encroachment on their rights.  We generally assume that people would
> welcome recommendations as to the proper path to use that makes the
> networrk work best for everyone in general.

Apart from the first couple of emails which were genuinely trying to
establish a common pathing system, there was no other education involved
that I saw on this list - I went away on a week and a half's holiday, and
came back to find pages upon pages of messages with people calling each
other names, demanding that each other change their paths as they were
flooding each other's areas, plus I had a couple of private emails from
people calling me names, in regards to a 2 month old email I'd posted in
regards to how the VK1 area was setup as far my knowledge was concerned..

I've spent the last six and a half years supporting and being involved in
the APRS community.. In the last couple of months, that community seems to

have dissolved into a number of rather loud and abusive people harassing
what has always been, and now more so, core group who are trying to make
things work..  I've never been a voice or morse person - Apart from a
short
amount of experimenting on UHF CB (Kyneton, Vic->Burnie, Tas with a 3.5W
output rig (9x 14-element cophased yagis) was my record) while I was going

back and foward with the WIA trying to organise my ham license - digital
is
only part of ham radio I really enjoy...  Packet dissappeared not long
after
I finally got my license, leaving only APRS, so I jumped into that with a
vengeance...  Now that too seems to be falling apart..

> Well several thoughts come to mind.
> 1) I don't think anyone sees the license as a "right to use the bands as

> they see fit", but more as a license to join the community and share the

> bands in a manner that is best for all.

There is no 'community' in Australia as far as I've seen in the last six
years - it's more a varied bunch of groups of people with very different
goals in mind fighting over what each chunk of AR spectrum is going to be
used for...

> 2) The restrictions are intended to give everyone guidance on the best
way
> to use the satellite so that the most people get to share it.  I
personnly
> do not like to impose hard limits on my designs, because I like the
sender
> to have the option to use the asset if he needs to for special purposes
> and demos.  Yes, the easy thing to do in this case is to leave it off to

> protect it from people who think it is their right to use it to death.
> But I prefer to "ask them to use it fairly and equitably" so that I dont

> have to turn it off for those others who might need it.

So please, do this 'ask' thing you speak of..  I don't know, maybe richard

only posted part of your email to the list.. But all I saw was a rather
strongly worded list of 'what you are and aren't allowed to do with these
satellites', with no discussion on the reasoning behind it..

> It's a tiny thing.  And the world is a big place...  With lots of apples

> in the barrel.

I guess it depends on the person.. For me, being TOLD what I can and can't

do, without it done in a fairly friendly fashion, with a VERY good
explanation, is a HUGE thing... As for apples, well..  I have epilepsy..
Like the millions of other people in the world on benzodiazepam and
clonazepam derivatives, I can't eat apples due to their high Salicylic
acid
(aka aspirin) content..  Apples are death in a shiny red skin... ;)

Regards,

Damien