[OZAPRS] FYI - Re: Limited USER operations authorized.

Richard Murnane Richard.Murnane at internode.on.net
Wed Dec 27 22:11:23 EST 2006

Damien (who for some reason doesn't quote his callsign) wrote:

> From: "Bob Bruninga " <bruninga at usna.edu>
>> A radio license is to join the community of fellow ham radio
>> hobbiests and
>> to share in the use of the spectrum that we all share in common.
>
> Exactly.. Yet here's someone shoving a satellite into the sky and then
> *imposing* 'requirements' on the use of it, with no explanation as
> to the
> reasons behind it, and effectively removing the 'community' ownership

Damien, while you many consider that your licence grants you
unfettered use of the spectrum, it doesn't grant you unfettered use
of every *spacecraft* operating in the Amateur satellite bands. And
if you haven't personally participated in the funding of the
spacecraft, I don't think you're in any position to assume you have
any kind of ownership of it. Consider also that the satellites are
operating in internally agreed band segments; sure people *can*
operate high power FM in those segments, but all but a few refrain
from doing so because it's an intelligent behaviour in that context.

If you want to use he satellite (and remember, nobody is forcing you
to do so), then the guidelines for using it intelligently have been
set forth. If you think it's your god- (or ACMA-) given right to use
it in an unintelligent manner, then I'd be pleased to hear a rational
argument for doing so (and please let us know your callsign so that I
at least can avoid you on air should you choose the unintelligent path.)

If the damn thing offends you so much, console yourself with the
knowledge that in ten minutes or so it will have passed and you can
get on with your life.

> we didn't use it.. That was fine..  With this bird, first we were
> told 'here
> it is, on x frequency, have fun!', Then we're told 'THIS IS HOW YOU
> MUST USE
> THIS SATELLITE'..  No reasonsings, explanations, nothing..  That
> simply
> doesn't fit with what I thought was the spirit of AR - freedom of
> information and sharing of technology...

Generally, restrictions are placed on the usage of satellites to
optimise their performance/lifetime/etc. So has it always been. In
the early days, Amateur satellites were fairly simple and cheap;
launch opportunities were greater in number, and thus restrictions
fewer. Now, with satellite creators pushing the technical boundaries,
they are time consuming and expensive to create. To avoid wasting the
massive resources put into them, operators are asked to use them
intelligently; to insist on using a satellite in any other manner
under the guise of exercising your personal freedom is, well,
frankly, pretty dumb.

As for "freedom of information", I just did a Google search on ANDE
and satellite and found plenty of interesting information...

> So please, do this 'ask' thing you speak of..  I don't know, maybe
> richard
> only posted part of your email to the list.. But all I saw was a
> rather
> strongly worded list of 'what you are and aren't allowed to do with
> these
> satellites', with no discussion on the reasoning behind it..

The original posting I saw from Bob (via Richard Hoskin) included the
word "please" more than once. That in my book is a linguistic
indicator of someone "asking".

>> It's a tiny thing.  And the world is a big place...  With lots of
>> apples
>> in the barrel.
>
> I guess it depends on the person.. For me, being TOLD what I can
> and can't
> do, without it done in a fairly friendly fashion, with a VERY good
> explanation, is a HUGE thing...

You mean like the people who park in disabled parking spots, who
refuse to move when confronted  about it because the person
confronting them didn't ask "nicely"? Please consider the request on
its technical merits, independent of the manner in which the request
was made. I think you're getting your nose out of joint because
you've read more into Bob's original message than he put in.

> As for apples, well..  I have epilepsy..
> Like the millions of other people in the world on benzodiazepam and
> clonazepam derivatives, I can't eat apples due to their high
> Salicylic acid
> (aka aspirin) content..  Apples are death in a shiny red skin... ;)

Commiserations on that score (though thanks for enlightening me - I
hadn't heard of that before. Mind you, considering the way the
supermarkets treat apples these days, you're not missing much :-)

73 Richard VK2SKY