[OZAPRS] weather stations

Chris Hill chris.hill at crhtelnet.com.au
Tue Oct 4 23:56:54 EST 2005

Hi All,

I'm interested in getting a weather station capability for my APRS setup,
and so are at least two other stations here in VK6...  we just need to
find
the best value for money product.

A quick search has found these possibilities:

1.  The WMR-928N

$725 from DSE
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/Y5195

$799 from Weather Down Under
http://www.weatherdownunder.net.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=
46
_33&products_id=215

2.  The LaCrosse WS-2300 or WS-2308

$439 from Weather Down Under
http://www.weatherdownunder.net.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=
46
_32&products_id=292

(BTW, it appears that the remote sensors use 433MHz to transfer data to
the
central unit).

Does anyone have any better suggestions?  Even $439 seems like a lot of
money to pay for this functionality...  has anyone had any success at
grabbing the necessary data from the cheaper (eg $160) units that don't
have
inbuilt RS-232?

Any suggestions gratefully received!

73