[OZAPRS] Getting UI-VIEW to Igate ISS traffic ?

Noel Rowe noel-r at clear.net.nz
Sun Mar 13 18:53:10 EST 2005

Chris VK6KCH said:

>When monitoring 145.800 MHz with a TNC and AGW Packet Engine, I can hear
>traffic from ISS.  Eg:

>1:Fm RS0ISS-3 To P0PPP0 Via SGATE,WIDE <UI pid=F0 Len=31 >[04:48:57]
'vX
'/]APRS/BBS & PACKET ON

 [other similar lines deleted]

>However, none of this traffic is showing up in UI-VIEW, so of course it
>never gets Igated to the internet.

>Presumably there’s at least one more setting that I need to tweak…  but I
>can’t find it at present.   Any hints?

This is a mice-e compressed beacon.  As with all mic-e positions, it is in
two parts, the POPPO is the first part and the unprntable bits in the next
line are the second part.  In the case of the ISS, its position decodes as
00 lat 00 long, so is on the Equator off the coast of Africa.  The UI-View
author blocked out 00/00 as a position, so his program ignores it.  He did
this because of the number of people that came up forgetting to insert their
own position, or with defective GPSs etc.  Other APRS software, ie AGW
Tracker, will plot this position.

Noel, ZL3GR.