[OZAPRS] GPS problems - a different tack?

Gavin Rogers grogers at vk6hgr.echidna.id.au
Tue Aug 9 12:05:31 EST 2005

At 01:02 AM 9/08/2005, you wrote:
>Hi Gavin,
>
>How convinced are you that your PC terminal program has reliably set the
>baud rate to 4800bps, to match the 4800bps out of the Uniden GPS301?
>
>What happens if you cross-connect two PC serial ports, each set to 4800
and
>running (eg) hyperterminal...  can you chat keyboard to keyboard OK?

Yeah, I tried that. I also used a simpler program that I trust more,
called Teraterm Pro. Talking to a MFJ TNC with its jumpers set to
4800baud confirms that the PCs UARTs etc are working at 4800 baud.
Haven't done a null-modem check but it can't hurt to try to be sure.
I'll try it all again though and test each step carefully. It could
just end up being user error, after all! :-)

Uniden were no help. After emailing a careful explanation of the
problem and the steps I went through to resolve it, I got a one-line
email saying, "Telephone our support line." Surely email is easier
than providing phone support? Grr.

Maybe I'll just acquire another GPS that does NMEA 4800 baud without
hassles. Thanks for your suggestions, everyone.

73
Gavin
VK6HGR

---
       Gavin Rogers                     |  Amateur radio station VK6HGR
     http://www.livingwaters.com/good   |     http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
    ICQ: 17230395  MSN: VK6HGR  Skype/Email: grogers at vk6hgr.echidna.id.au