[OZAPRS] Re: Kev's recent message and comments on Local traffic etc.

Brian Beamish bbeamish at bigpond.net.au
Tue Sep 21 14:16:42 EST 2004

Part only of Kev's recent email, see below, as I have no intention of
entering into an SSID debate for in this regard where ever possible I
personally as will most others be working where possible within Bob's SSID
Guideline.

I do not agree fully with Kev in regard to APRS being predominately a
local
activity whilst saying this I personally would not like to see all of VK
and
ZLs VHF/UHF activity being gated out, as once it was, via a local VHF/UHF
gateway as has been proven here in the past when this happens local
mobiles
and weaker stations may as well give the game away.. I do believe that
with
VHF/UHF that it should be digipeated locally and also gated to the net but
there it should stay so that anyone wanting to see other areas traffic can
connect to the net and easily watch it from there if they wish. I
personally
find viewing others areas, on the net, occasionally quite interesting
especially if one has good maps of an area of interest.

With HF APRS especially if we ever get a complete VK Igate coverage that
it
should be gated to both the net and VHF/UHF as this very limited HF
traffic
can be most interesting to follow as VK5EX's recent trip through the
centre
certainly was. I personally would like to follow any HF station,
particularly if known to me, as it travels away from local areas and out
into the outback etc. Surely HF APRS could be regarded as "Local" in this
sense.

"I have stated before and I do not intend
to bore you all again at length that APRS is a local activity and is for
the benefit of those in a predominately local area. The payload carried
is of meaningful value in this context. But when I look at an I-Gate
feed I am of the view the system is a spam generator that provides me as
a client with no meaning full value or even entertainment."

"Just back to local activity there certainly is not the activity in the
local area to support the numbers suggested by Brian as being active
locally and using the filtered feed from local servers confirms the
local usage"

I do not follow this Kev as I have not suggested any numbers?
Or are you referring to SSID numbers?
If so I do see a need for them both on VHF/UHF and HF but as mentioned
above
I am not coming into the SSID debate.
I will say if the SSIDs are used correctly and not randomly as is the case
with a few operators than can supply real useful information.

B C N U
Brian VK4BBS