[OZAPRS] Re SSID's

kevcav abc123 at emirates.net.ae
Tue Sep 21 12:17:58 EST 2004

My gosh here we go again the digital version of band plans.

Could I remind you all that there is no compulsion or regulation that
determines what SSID one must use its simply a protocol that allows us
all the conform in a manner that suits either the software we are using
or our personal preferences.

Use whatever SSID you consider appropiate for your use. It is my view
that Brian was attempting to remind us all of a standard that could
provide a commonality for usage and interpretation. And in doing so he
is to be congratulated.

What I did raise a smile about was the numerical value given to current
APRS operators and wondered on its origin. Bob Bruninga solved that
issue for me in another post. I have stated before and I do not intend
to bore you all again at length that APRS is a local activity and is for
the benefit of those in a predominately local area. The payload carried
is of meaningful value in this context. But when I look at at an I-Gate
feed I am of the view the system is a spam generator that provides me as
a client with no meaning full value or even entertainment.

Just back to local activity there certainly is not the activity in the
local area to support the numbers suggested by Brian as being active
locally and using the filtered feed from local servers confirms the
local usage

On the issue of Bob Bruniga using the brand Kenwood in HIS list of
preferred SSID,s I personally consider this to unwise, but after reading
many many posts on a number of lists their certainly appears to be in my
view a halo effect in Bobs world for Kenwood. In providing indentifiers
it would be expected that generic only names only be used and
recommended. I am not sure that today we follow like a lot of sheep and
follow the lead, rather than doing what is best for our part of the
world. After all the propogation and logging of those HF stations
suggest we in the South Pacific are alone and at least in a radio sense
are not a part of some perceived global mission. We therefore have a
chance to be innovative and have a protocol that suits our local
conditions and culture. Whatever happens if we want to have meaningful
communications and share the joysa and tribulations that come with
experimenting we need a protocol to add to our enjoyment and achievement.

Time to fold up de soap box and go back to sleep.

Thanks for the bandwidth