[OZAPRS] RE: [radio] ozaprs Digest, Vol 14, Issue 32

Ron Perry ronk at sunlinux.com.au
Wed Mar 31 15:30:55 EST 2004

Hi Alex, HF APRSers,

On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 14:32, Alex wrote:
> Good one Noel,
>
> At least someone has the right idea about APRS in Oz, even if it is from
> across the water. I've been following this thread for months, watching
all
> and sundry trying to re-invent the wheel with tone pairs. I have always
been
> under the impression the international tones & freqs are mostly set in
> stone.  If your TNC doesn't generate the proper HF tones, get a TNC that
> does, yes?

And if you radio don't read out the correct frequncy?..it don't matter
what pair of tones you use. :-)

I have never disputed that we are on the wrong frequency.  Having used
my radio on HF USB voice with xtal locked radios, being told to "come up
a bit", I found I was reading 200Hz above the nominated frequency.
Considering this, my readout would be 10.147.8 for HF packet with the
KAM+..or thereabouts.

My readout just "ticks" over to 10.147.9. This is what I was using to
resolve VK3MY-3.  I had 2 KAMplus' one on UI-View and one on a Terminal,
both were decoding ok. with the pair 1600/1800.

Ok so far..?

Now if I don't have a problem, then I'm 300Hz too high. If I do have a
problem maybe about 100Hz high, but nothing like the 500Hz that is being
suggested by Noel.  ??

Question to Noel.  You previously stated that your have a MFJ TNC, which
model?  And what radio too please?

If I new for sure that there was nothing wrong with my radio, then I'd
be happy to move down 300Hz. But unless I can prove that my radio is on
frequency, I'll just have to play follow the leader.:-)  And the leader
at the moment is VK3MY-3.  Lets hope to hear from Ross soon.

Alex, I've not heard you on 30m APRS.  In your opinion, what frequency
are my transmissions on 10MHz?

Regards,
Ron
vk3ecv/vk3wrm

> Alex VK1AC
>

> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 10:26:40 +1200
> From: Noel Rowe <noel-r at clear.net.nz>
> Subject: Re: [OZAPRS] Last from VK4BBS on this subject.
> To: bbeamish at bigpond.net.au, ozaprs at marconi.ics.mq.edu.au
>
> Brian,
>
> I do not dispute, and never have disputed, that you are on the same
> frequency on 30m as other Oz stations.   And as you hear them, and
> presumably decode them, that confirms you indeed are correctly netted to
> them.
>
> But what I am trying to get through to all of you over there in Oz, is
that
> you are all netted to a station that is itself not on the frequency that
Bob