[OZAPRS] RE: Findu cant find me..

Noel Rowe noel-r at clear.net.nz
Wed Mar 17 14:33:56 EST 2004

Bob,

Thanks for understanding the method in our madness, in doing things the
way
we do.  It is a means to an end.

There is a plea on the ARISS site for more interest in providing gateways,
and as Tony said, high speed and always on internet access is not widely
available in ZL, or I gather VK, at low cost.   We have a telco monopoly
on
lines here in ZL, and they can do more or less as they please.

Given that most of us interested in providing the satellite APRS gateways
here in ZL, and also it seems in VK, dont have direct internet access but
link via RF to those sites that do, the question is : how can we arrange
the
signals so that (1) the ARISS type servers recognise our beacons etc as
having come via the correct path from space, and (2) the integrity is not
compromised?

Whilst I have no trouble with knowing that what I am personally doing is
only forwarding genuine traffic, I take your point that this may in other
cases not be so.  I raised the issue of the lost beacons, due to
terrestial
handling, with Steve Dimse about a year ago, but I think that to him I was
just a voice in the wilderness.  Our current method of adding the callsign
and asteric as a comment may be a good (for us) short term solution, but
is
there a better long term one?

Noel, ZL3GR.