[OZAPRS] Findu and Email Unreliable ?

Tony Hunt wavetel at iname.com
Fri Mar 12 01:10:38 EST 2004

I realise that sugesting a VK based findu server and email server has some
huge ramifications.. Its easy to say and hard to do.. However it may be a
solution to what appears to be a intermittent blockage in the pipe between
here and the USA systems..

Perhaps a mirror type system could be setup here but I suspect Steve Dimse
isnt going to part with his code that quickly..

It needs to be proven in some way just what is going on and not going on..

I do remember not all that long ago trying to connect to aprs.net over in
the States for example and trying to hold the Igate connection on the net.
Generally it would not hold up for long.. The I/P connection just broke
all
the time with my 56k modem and UI-View..

Do we have a data overflow happening with alot of the frames just being
dumped or something? It would appear to be a possibility..

The main reason I am onto this is its been there quite a while and is very
painful for those trying to put in Posits and email when out bush via Sats
or even HF..

Ive had a TNC running for over a week on ISS (VK5AH-3) with Beacon After
10
seconds set on it.. This sends a beacon 10 seconds after it hears any
frame.. Ive watched it send up to 5 posits on some passes.. These are
hitting the internet feed as downlinks as  well.. So far in a week Ive hit
FINDU about twice.. Pretty sad really..

Tony Hunt   VK5AH