[OZAPRS] Findu and Email Unreliable ?

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Fri Mar 12 08:39:09 EST 2004

On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 12:40:38AM +1030, Tony Hunt wrote:
> I realise that sugesting a VK based findu server and email server has
some
> huge ramifications.. Its easy to say and hard to do.. However it may be
> solution to what appears to be a intermittent blockage in the pipe
between
> here and the USA systems..

Well I don't think we have proof of that yet, so I wouldn't go
replicating findu yet. It may be that the problem is between the
aprs.net servers and findu, or between your local igate and aprs.net.au
or whatever.

> I do remember not all that long ago trying to connect to aprs.net over
in
> the States for example and trying to hold the Igate connection on the
net.
> Generally it would not hold up for long.. The I/P connection just broke
all
> the time with my 56k modem and UI-View..

Yes the full data stream may be too much, but the
aprs/second.aprs.net.au servers are running on broadband internet.
So are most of the VK igates I think, though it's less important.

> Ive had a TNC running for over a week on ISS (VK5AH-3) with Beacon After
10
> seconds set on it.. This sends a beacon 10 seconds after it hears any
> frame.. Ive watched it send up to 5 posits on some passes.. These are
> hitting the internet feed as downlinks as  well.. So far in a week Ive
hit
> FINDU about twice.. Pretty sad really..

Hmm. Well map.findu.com/vk3sb and /vk3sb-9 are both correct at this
minute. I'll see what happens when I drive to work this morning.

Hamish