[OZAPRS] UI-VIEW Map Specification?

Chris Hill chris.hill at crhtelnet.com.au
Sun Mar 7 23:44:49 EST 2004

Hi Carl,

I think you might be confusing/intermingling datum and projection.

Although I can't find any definitive reference, I am working on the basis
that UI-VIEW requires:

  o Datum = WGS84
  o Projection = Cylindrical

I may not have the luxury of obtaining the shape files, but rather will be
(hopefully) provided with raster images (.png?), as per my specification,
complete with the copyright notice and details of the conditions of use
(ie,
"for amateur radio use only").

If someone can point me to a credible technical specification for APRS
maps,
I'll read it!

A useful reference on spheroids, datums and projections is:
www.cof.orst.edu/cof/teach/for420/Powerpoint_lectures/projections.ppt
(Slide 22 shows the result of right datum, wrong projection)

An idea of the information that is required to meaningfully describe a
map,
is conveyed by the Metadata requirements of the WA Land Information System
(WALIS) Metadata Policy:
http://www.walis.wa.gov.au/walis/content/metadata.html
This is a bit more comprehensive than typically found in the .inf files
typically distributed!  (Admittedly, a bit more work, too!)

We can aspire...

73 Chris vk6kch