[OZAPRS] UI-VIEW Map Specification?

Carl Makin carl at stagecraft.cx
Wed Mar 10 23:46:40 EST 2004

Hi Chris,

On 07/03/2004, at 11:44 PM, Chris Hill wrote:

> I think you might be confusing/intermingling datum and projection.

Hmmm, probably. :(

> Although I can't find any definitive reference, I am working on the
> basis
> that UI-VIEW requires:
>
>   o Datum = WGS84
>   o Projection = Cylindrical

There is some documentation on map types supported by various clients
at;

http://www.eskimo.com/~archer/aprs_capabilities.html

and Xastir's capabilities are listed at;

http://www.eskimo.com/~archer/xastir.html

However this doesn't say much about actual image formats.

> I may not have the luxury of obtaining the shape files, but rather
> will be
> (hopefully) provided with raster images (.png?), as per my
> specification,
> complete with the copyright notice and details of the conditions of
> use (ie,
> "for amateur radio use only").

The shape files would obviously be much more useful.  With these
images, will you be supplied with a mapping between pixels in the map
and coordinates?

Xastir can't handle .inf described images directly but it's easy to
convert the .inf files into something Xastir can deal with.

Carl.