[OZAPRS] APRS NODES?

G T & C A Beagley beagley at xtra.co.nz
Fri Jun 4 06:12:02 EST 2004

Hi Ron and others.

We have these things called mountains here in NZ which makes it very
difficult to get VHF signals from one area to another without resorting
to Mountain-top repeaters. Data repeaters are used for this purpose over
short distances. Putting a simplex digi such as a UIDGI on a hilltop
doesn't work very well as we get too much digipeating.
For instance.  ZL1AMW-14's IGATE in Hamilton is only about 80km from
here as the crow flies but there's this b... great lot of mountains in
the way. Until I got my IGATE going this was our local operators only
access to an IGATE and therefore the rest of the country.
I gather in the USA the method of APRS ops is to contain their signals
within their own area. We use the opposite idea. Because NZ is a small
country with few APRS operators we like to have our sigs get around the
whole country.

Cheers

Graham

Ron Perry wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 20:00, G T & C A Beagley wrote:
>
>>I have been running the ROT node (ZL1ROT-2) here in Rotorua for the last

>>year. It has 2 ports. Port 1 is the local simplex port on 144.575mhz.
>>Port 2 is the linking port to the Kaima Data Repeater up in the local
>>mountain range to the North West (Tx 144.8, Rx 145.4). It digipeats 1 -
>>1,2 and 2 - 1. This method connects us with the rest of the world. I
>>used the node symbol as I believe this setup to be a Node.
>

> So I assume from this a "node" is a more than a single frequency
> digipeater?  Is the digipeater UI only?
>

>>Last week I disconnected Port 2 and it became a Digipeater (symbol
>>changed to Digi) on 144.575.
>

> Ok.
>

>>My IGATE has replaced the Data repeater
>>link to the outside world.
>>Likewise each point on our National UHF FM system is considered to be a
>>Node. Each area node is linked to the next by a UHF or SHF link.
>

> Generally a "node" is a connection point.
>

>>Hope this helps.
>>

> It does. Thanks.
>
> We don't see them in VK as we (almost) all operate on one frequency.
> I can't understand why ZL is not on one single frequency? It seems very
> fragmented to me.
>
> Regards,
> Ron
> vk3ecv
>

>>Graham
>>
>>ZL1GTB
>>
>>Ron Perry wrote:
>>
>>>Hmm,
>>>I notice a number of NODES in ZL. Can someone explain, what an APRS
NODE
>>>is?
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>Ron